Daedalus wallet is a full node wallet. This means that unlike light wallets (e.g.Yoroi, Adalite, etc.) Daedalus downloads a full copy of the Cardano blockchain and independently validates every transaction in its history.
They claim their users will get maximum security and completely trustless operation, without centrally hosted 3rd party servers.
They have got so many positive reviews on the Google play store. 155 comments bumped the star rating for the fake Daedalus wallet app down by 0.2.
But then we all know reviews are now part of business marketing, and hence can be bought instead of being acquired willingly from satisfied clients.
People trust Google. That’s the problem 😕 They Google Cardano and see Daedulus, then they assume that Daedalus on play store is the official wallet.
So is Daedalus Wallet A Scam
From a report from r/cardano Someone posted in the sub that they downloaded this app from the play store, to stake their Cardano, and all 34k of their Ada is gone. It’s a huge scam and it has been up on the google play store despite many cases of this happening.
Other report says:
The whole membership of r/cardano decided to take a fight to bring down the notorious Daedalus wallet, by submitting negative but honest reviews to Google for a take down.
Within a few minutes of this operation it was reported that Google has taken down the fake Daedalus wallet of their platform.
Why Should We Listen to r/Cardano Verdict on Daedalus Wallet
r/Cardano is the Home of Cardano on reddit with over 220k member, and their decision on Daedulus wallet can never go wrong.
Cardano is a decentralised public blockchain and cryptocurrency project and is fully open source.
Cardano is developing a smart contract platform that seeks to deliver more advanced features than any protocol previously developed.
It is the first blockchain platform to evolve out of a scientific philosophy and a research-first-driven approach.
The development team consists of a large global collective of expert engineers and researchers.
And as such Cardano has no linkage or terms with Daedalus wallet.
How to take necessary action to have fraudulent applications removed from Google App Store.
So, you have spotted a “Wallet” on Google app store which is posing as a genuine product.
**However, you spot that it is not mentioned by any official sources relating to that product. The contact details are make-shift (e.g. a gmail account) and it is not published by the same creator as the official product.**
There are multiple actions that can be taken to flag this app as a scam to Google and the Crypto Community.
- Hit install and instantly hit cancel before the app installs. You will need to do this to rate the app, but don’t want to actually install the application on your device.
- After a couple of minutes, the option to rate the app will become available. Rate the app 1 star, and leave a message along the lines of “This application is a SCAM, do not install, you will lose your funds!”.
- Check for fake 5-star reviews. Flag them as spam (as they are actually spam!) and rate them as “Not Helpful”.
- Find other 1 star reviews which are flagging the app as a scam, and rate them as “Helpful”, this will push them to the top so that they are the first reviews to be seen when unsuspecting victims are considering downloading the application.
- Report the app to google as “Harmful to data and device”. Add a description of why this app is harmful, and question why it was allowed to be uploaded to the app store in the first place
- Post the app, flared as “Alert” on this subreddit, to spread awareness of that particular app. If it has already been posted in the last 24 hours, upvote the post on here, or re-post an alert to keep up awareness until the app is taken down.
- Share this subreddit with others to grow a community focused on safety, awareness, and diligence.
What we have to Say
We do agree to one of the Subreddit user, when they say:
But then Google cannot be held accountable for this, because the only thing one can do is stop using their products.
We strongly believe Daedalus wallet is not safe, because if the whole official Cardano subreddit can attest to this fact then it is not worth it.
Therefore we made this warning to help the new Cardano users, because removing Daedalus wallet from Google playstore is not a total solution, because they can operate in other angles, besides they are several popular app download platforms.
So share this article to as many to help spread the dangers of using Daedalus wallet.