At the time you are reading this, Aptos Testnet has successfully done 2 rounds, and they are on the third round of their Aptos Testnet (AIT-3) which is expected to end September 9 for them to proceed to the last round.
Aptos is a blockchain project in building anticipating launch, however, you ought to know that its testnet is common in blockchain, this is the time developers test what they have built to know if there are any bugs to fixe, codes to overwrite before mainnet launch.
In this reading, we are going to explain what Aptos testnet is and how you can participate and earn good rewards for participating in their test phase.
What is Aptos Testnet
The Aptos testnet is an experiment that’s rewarding node operators, developers, content creators, project leaders, and others who help them prepare to launch a secure, reliable & decentralized network.
Aptos Labs remains focused on launching Mainnet to bring the community the safest, fastest, and most reliable foundation for building within Web3.
Aptos Testnet Guide
Complete these 6 steps to register for AIT-3:
- Confirm you have a Discord account and have joined the Aptos server. IMPORTANT: You will be asked to connect a Discord account for AIT-3.
- Create an account (or log into your existing one) on the community site.
- When prompted, provide your email address and username, and make sure to confirm your email.
- Follow the steps on this AIT-3 page to install and start up a validator node, set the node up in test mode, and provide the validator details to the Aptos community.
- Download and install the Petra wallet and register your wallet address on the community site. (Remove previous versions of the wallet)
- Pass an identity verification and sanctions screening process. If you have concerns about eligibility, please review our terms and conditions.
REMINDER: Individuals should only register once. We reserve the right to exclude those that abuse this policy from AIT, and they will not be eligible for any rewards.
- Registration begins on August 19
- Registration ends on August 25
- Notifications will be sent out on August 29
- The testnet becomes live on August 30
- The testnet concludes on September 09
All selected participants are expected to:
- Access the Aptos governance platform to register, stake, and designate their operator (the account associated with the validator)
- Register their validator node’s configuration on-chain
- Join the validator set
- Vote in the 3 distinct governance proposals
- Leave the validator set at the end of AIT-3
Success Criteria and Rewards
- Perform all the required objectives on time
- Meet node liveness as defined by metrics push data ≥ 95%
- On-chain reward earned ≥ 80% of maximum
- Successful participation in all Aptos-created governance operations
Everyone meeting these criteria will receive 800 Aptos tokens. In addition, the team will offer two opportunities to gain an extra 200 Aptos tokens:
- Run a validator full node with an open REST API for load testing
- Successfully participate in all operations
What is Aptos Blockchain
The Aptos blockchain has been developed over the past three years by over 350+ developers across the globe. It offers new and novel innovations in consensus, smart contract design, system security, performance, and decentralization.
The combination of these technologies will provide a fundamental building block to bring web3 to the masses:
- First, the Aptos blockchain natively integrates and internally uses the Move language for fast and secure transaction execution. The Move prover, a formal verifier for smart contracts written in the Move language, provides additional safeguards for contract invariants and behavior. This focus on security allows developers to better protect their software from malicious entities.
- Second, the Aptos data model enables flexible key management and hybrid custodial options. This, alongside transaction transparency prior to signing and practical light client protocols, provides a safer and more trustworthy user experience.
- Third, to achieve high throughput and low latency, the Aptos blockchain leverages a pipelined and modular approach for the key stages of transaction processing. Specifically, transaction dissemination, block metadata ordering, parallel transaction execution, batch storage, and ledger certification all operate concurrently. This approach fully leverages all available physical resources, improves hardware efficiency, and enables highly parallel execution.
- Fourth, unlike other parallel execution engines that break transaction atomicity by requiring upfront knowledge of the data to be read and written, the Aptos blockchain does not put such limitations on developers. It can efficiently support atomicity with arbitrarily complex transactions, enabling higher throughput and lower latency for real-world applications and simplifying development.
- Fifth, the Aptos modular architecture design supports client flexibility and optimizes frequent and instant upgrades. Moreover, to rapidly deploy new technology innovations and support new web3 use cases, the Aptos blockchain provides embedded on-chain change management protocols.
- Finally, the Aptos blockchain is experimenting with future initiatives to scale beyond individual validator performance: its modular design and parallel execution engine support internal sharding of a validator, and homogeneous state sharding provide the potential for horizontal throughput scalability without adding additional complexity for node operators.